Personal details in the Finnish Trade Register
The Finnish Trade Register is a register for public use. Anyone is entitled to obtain information about the entries made in the Finnish Trade Register, as well as the filed notifications and their enclosures.
The Finnish Trade Register contains personal details of nearly 1.6 million people.
Up until 2014, all the details filed with the Finnish Trade Register were public.
Trade Register extract indicates the company’s current details. Read more about Trade Register extracts.
What personal details are filed?
The following personal details are filed with the Finnish Trade Register:
- Full name
- Finnish personal identity code
- Municipality of residence
If the person does not have a Finnish personal identity code, give their date of birth instead. If the person lives abroad, give their home address instead of their municipality of residence.
You also have to file, for example, the person’s position of responsibility (role) in the company, such as board member or managing director, with the Finnish Trade Register as a personal detail.
Do not give any personal identity code and home address unless specifically requested. When you send notifications, do not include any documents that contain personal identity codes, home addresses, or sensitive details, such as health details.
What details may not be filed?
Give a Finnish personal identity code and home address only when expressly requested to do so in the notification.
Below are examples of the details that may not be filed:
- Health details (including any reference to sick leave, even though the reason for the sick leave is not disclosed)
- Information on any trusteeship covering the person
- Information on the person’s non-disclosure for personal safety or details subject to the non-disclosure for personal safety
- Passport number (apart from a passport copy if it must be enclosed with the notification in order to register a foreign person. Passport copies submitted to the Finnish Trade Register are not public.)
- Contact details that the company does not wish to be public
- Business secrets or other details that the company does not wish to be public
- Other sensitive details
Strict procedures in the processing of notifications
The PRH has strict procedures for processing notifications in accordance with the data protection legislation and strict agreements with the parties using Trade Register information.
Read more about the processing and disclosure of personal data in the privacy statement for the Finnish Trade Register.
The PRH discloses details on the last four digits of the personal identity codes and home addresses of those living abroad from the Finnish Trade Register only if the requirements in section 16, subsection 3 of the Act on the Openness of Government Activities are fulfilled. In other cases, the person’s country of residence is disclosed instead of the home address if the person lives abroad.