Registration abroad

If you want to apply for trademark protection outside Finland, you have three options to choose from:

  • EU trademark covering the whole of the European Union and registered by the European Union Intellectual Property Office (EUIPO)
  • registration under the Madrid Protocol (MP) in the around 80 member countries of the protocol
  • national registrations separately in each individual country.

Which system should I use?

The system you should use depends on the case. The crucial question is in which countries you need the protection.

If you want to protect your mark in some or several EU countries, choose the EU trademark. If you want to protect the mark in countries like Russia and China, it may be wisest to use the Madrid Protocol system.

In order to get extensive protection for your trademark, you need to use both the EU trademark and the Madrid Protocol or all three systems.

What does it cost?

The costs vary according to the number of countries in which you apply for registration and the number of classes of goods and services included in your application.

See the fees for registrations covering the European Union on the EUIPO website.

You can calculate the fees for registrations under the Madrid Protocol by using the calculator on the website of the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO).

We recommend that you consult a trademark agency if you are applying for protection abroad.

Printable version
Latest update 20.06.2019